Pages

10.3.11

Urban gardening swoon

Rhubarb (May 2010)


As might be obvious from previous posts, I am a huge urban gardening fan. And I just had to share this incredible group I came across today. They are "Food from the Sky"  and they are growing vegetables on the roof of a grocery store/supermarket in London. They are profiled in an article in the Guardian today, which describes how since May 2010, they have been growing on the roof enough produce to sell in the grocery store every  Friday!  Apparently, they are able to grow a huge variety of vegetables: " from peas and potatoes to kale and purple sprouting broccoli – alongside flowers, tiny strawberry and raspberry plants." Best all, they compost the unsold/rotting fruit and veg from the supermarket.
Combined with another group I came across a few weeks ago, I am buzzing with excitement for my own urban garden plans. The other group was Window Farming.   "Windowfarms are vertical, hydroponic, modular, low-energy, high-yield edible indoor window gardens built using low-impact or recycled local materials. They are designed for indoor home and school settings, and allow growing during the winter season." They are kind of hard to describe: its like hanging a cascade of pots against a window. I am not entirely convinced of the necessity of the hydroponic part but there is a lot to be inspired by and to think about for urban vegetable growing.  

I find all these groups so exciting!! I am off to do some planning for my own urban garden - and it will include growing some rhubarb!
What are you finding inspiring today?
Jude

2 comments:

Roberta Warshaw said...

Those are some fascinating links. Thanks for sharing!

julochka said...

from the pot-gardening i've done, i can say that the key is enough water. :-)